US Open Organizers Support Djokovic – Seems like Novak Djokovic’s return to the United States will be sooner than later, as the US Tennis Association and the US Open organizers has expressed support to the Serbian’s plan to secure entry to the US for Association of Tennis Professionals events in Indian Wells and Miami. In a social media post, the US Open wrote that American tennis officials are hoping that Djokovic will be allowed to enter the US to play in the two events scheduled this month. They said the fans and ATP Tour betting enthusiasts are excited to see him back in action at Indian Wells and Miami.
US Open Organizers Support Djokovic: US COVID-19 Protocols Still Hampers Djokovic’s Return
Currently, the World No1 is barred from entering the US because he is unvaccinated against COVID-19 and the Transport Security Administration indicated that the policy would not change at least mid-April. Djokovic has petitioned US authorities for special permission to enter and he was still waiting to hear if he will get that permit. He hopes that a decision will be made before the Indian Wells draw is conducted on Monday. His vaccination status saw him deported from Australia shortly before the 2022 Australian Open. He also missed the US Open last year because of the travel restriction. Djokovic made a triumphant return to Australia in January, winning the 2023 Australian Open for a record-equalling 22nd Grand Slam singles title. On Friday, the Serbian’s 20-game winning streak ended after losing to Daniil Medvedev in the semifinals of the Dubai Tennis Championships.
Wimbledon to Scrap Ban on Russian Players
The controversial ban on Russian and Belarusian tennis players are set to be removed by British officials that run Wimbledon. According to a report, the All England Lawn Tennis Club is favoring the ban to be lifted on Russian and Belarusian netters. However, players from both nations may need to sign a declaration promising they will not promote or glorify Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war during the tournament. An AELTC official said that the matter is still being discussed by the UK government and key stakeholders.
It may be recalled that the UK Lawn Tennis Association barred Russian and Belarusian players from five ATP tournaments, including the long-standing Queen’s Club event in London. Last year, the ATP responded to the ban by punishing British tennis USD1 million – USD750,000 for LTA and USD250,000 for AELTC. The ATP and the Women’s Tennis Association stripped Wimbledon its ranking points following the ban. Rumors circulate that if the ban continues, organizers of Queen’s and Eastbourne tournaments could be removed from the United Kingdom and more fines are set to follow. The three other Grand Slams in Australia, France and the United States allow Russian and Belarusian players to play although they compete under a neutral flag. This year’s Wimbledon is scheduled on July 3-16 and sports oddsmakers say it will be a star-studded affair that will feature the best tennis stars around the world.