BetNow Online Sportsbook

French Open Update: Event Moved to May 30; Italian Netters Rise Up in Men’s Rankings

Posted by: Hilbert Mayer
French Open Update Event Moved to May 30 Italian Netters Rise Up in Men's Rankings

French Open Update – The clay-court Grand Slam tournament will happen a week later. It is due to the coronavirus pandemic, tournament organizers said. The organizers, the French tennis federation, announced on Thursday that the first-round matches will begin on May 30. It was set for May 23 but the pandemic cases in France have gone up again. According to French tennis federation president Gilles Moretton, the postponement will give them additional time to improve the health situation in the country as they plan to have 1,000 fans appearing in the clay courts each day.

The move to reschedule the 2021 French Open was due to the situation of hospitals in France. It has almost reached full capacity due to the virus. The French government has announced stricter nationwide restrictions. This included a three-week school closure, a month-long domestic travel ban, and the shutdown of non-essential stores. 

French Open Update: Effect of the Delay

The delay will have a knock-on effect on the scheduled grass-court season. It is except for Wimbledon, which was canceled last year due to the rising cases of COVID-19. The Grand Slam Board backs the decision of the French tennis federation but female netter Alize Cornet criticized the government’s top sports official for making “a pretty selfish decision.” Cornet said that the postponement will affect the tennis calendar and asked the French government to think about the welfare of the players first before making such a decision. The development is expected to give some tennis betting aficionados additional time to ponder on who will they pick for the second Grand Slam event in world tennis this year.

Sinner leads Italian surge in ATP world rankings

Young tennis star Jannik Sinner has led the surge of Italian netters in the Top 100 of the Association of Tennis Professionals rankings. Sinner, who last week reached the men’s singles final of the Miami Masters, rose to 23rd in the world rankings with his recent feat. No Italian had reached the final in the ATP Masters 1000 tournament in North America. Before Sinner, there was Fabio Fognini. He reached the semifinals of the 2017 Miami Masters, which is the previous best by any netter from Italy. The 19-year-old sensation is currently the third-best Italian behind 18th seed Fognini and world number 10 Matteo Berrettini.

Seven other Italians have broken in the Top 100. They are Lorenzo Sonego (34), Stefano Travaglia (69), Salvatore Caruso (87), and Lorenzo Musetti (90). Others include Gianluca Mager (91), Marco Cecchinato (93) and Andreas Seppi (96). Sinner, who is in the midst of preparing for the Monte Carlo Masters, has enjoyed an eventful two years since winning the NextGen ATP finals. He has captured two pro titles and gained a quarter-final seat in the French Open on his debut last year. Adriano Panatta was the highest-ranked Italian ever at world number four in August 1976. The last Italian to win an ATP title in Italy was Filippo Volandri in October 2006.

Conclusion

France and Spain have more players in the top 100 with 11. The entry of 10 Italian stars in the Top 100 shows how the sport has evolved and this has given additional excitement from the best tennis bookmaker, who are now betting on Italian superstars to win in various competitions around the world.