BetNow Online Sportsbook

Golf Update: Will Zalatoris Replaces Striker in QBE Shootout

Posted by: Hilbert Mayer
Golf Update Will Zalatoris Replaces Striker in QBE Shootout

PGA Tour Rookie of the Year Will Zalatoris has taken the place of Steve Stricker. This will be for the QBE Shootout set for December 10-12. It will be held at the Tiburon Golf Club in Naples, Florida. Stricker won the QBE Shootout twice in 2009 (with Jerry Kelly) and 2017 (alongside Sean O’Hair). However, he withdrew from the tournament due to a lingering sickness that is not related to coronavirus.

Zalatoris placed second in The Masters and eighth in the PGA Championship this year. He will replace Stricker in the event and will partner with O’Hair. Tournament director Rob Hartman expressed sadness with Stricker’s withdrawal. He welcomed World No32 Zalatoris whom he said will be a great addition to the event.

Stricker was the captain of the victorious U.S. Ryder Cup team in September. It will be Zalatoris’ first appearance in the QBE Shootout and one of the five first-time golfers in the event. Zalatoris had eight top-10 finishes and was named Rookie of the Year. He could be a good choice for PGA betting enthusiasts who seek to earn big money while watching the game of team golf.

The QBE Shootout will feature a scramble format for the first round, a modified alternate shot format on Saturday and a better ball event in the final round on Sunday. Last year, Harris English and Matt Kuchar ran away with several records en route to winning their third QBE Shootout title. Kuchar and English finished at 37-under 179 to eclipse the record of 34-under the duo set in 2013. They topped the 2013 margin of victory record of seven with nine in last year’s staging of the event. The duo was the first three-time champions of the Shootout.

Tiger Woods eyes competing in British Open

Fifteen-time major winner Tiger Woods is looking to compete in the British Open next year. Woods made the statement on Monday days before the start of the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas. It was his first interview since February when he suffered serious injuries in a car crash in Los Angeles. The American parbuster said that he will take part in a few golf tournaments of his choice and he seeks to begin his comeback in the British Open in St. Andrews. Woods discounted the possibility of competing full-time and he expects his post-accident career to be similar to Ben Hogan, who was also badly injured in an accident in 1949. The 45-year-old said that he would never regain full strength in his right leg.

Woods’ statement is good news for his millions of fans as he is recovering from the incident and is targeting a return to the sport he loves. However, it will not be as hectic as before but having the American in the mix of competitors for major tournaments would put him as a threat in every competition he partakes. Although the entry of Woods in the British Open would not place him as a top favorite in the major event, betting on golf would still be eventful with the American in the list of competitors.